Sunday, January 3, 2010

Outback Dreaming


I made this piece some time ago. The inspiration came from a gorgeous Australian boulder opal cabochon which I purchased at a lapidary show in Sydney. I wanted to create something that would reflect the rustic beauty of outback Australia. The main pendant and the four hollow beads were all made with silver clay, and several cubic zirconium stones and two opal cabs were set. A small green lizard was added to one of the beads by enamelling. The bases of the pendant and beads were hand carved to simulate the effect of dry cracked earth in our draught stricken outback, and patches of gold were added by Keum-boo to represent the golden sunshine on this red hot land. The pieces were then patinaed with liver of sulphur, and strung into a necklace with smoky quartz beads. Through this piece, I hope I can share with you a little of my impression of the unique landscape of outback Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment